The Highland Archive Service is responsible for locating, preserving and making accessible archives relating to all aspects of the history of the geographical area of the Highlands.
Place the pointer over the round marker of each archive centre to see a photograph of the building. Click on the round marker to access information on the particular archive centre. Click here to see the archive service booklet.
Featured Item from our Online Archive
|Photograph of the Fyrish Monument c.1900 HCA/D102/3/2/2|
The Fyrish Monument was built in 1792 on Fyrish Hill (Cnoc Fyrish), in the parish of Alness. It replicates the Gate of Negapatam in India that General Munro captured for the British In 1781 and is a prominent local landmark. Built at a time when the population was being cleared from the land, it provided work for local people. Evidence of this is found in the Munro of Novar papers in a receipt, dated 31st November 1792, for the sum of “One Pound, Three Shillings for separating the stones, lime and timber of the ruin of Fyrish Hill”. The monument affords views over the Cromarty Firth and west to Ben Wyvis.